Saturday, May 21, 2022

23-year-old Law Undergraduate, Damilola Grace Olakanmi Di£d ‘After Eating Cannabis Gummie’

Tributes have been paid to a “kind and promising” law student who died after consuming a suspected cannabis sweet in east London.

Damilola Grace Olakanmi, 23, bought the “gummies” via a messaging app on her phone and they were delivered to her home.

Ms Olakanmi and a 21-year-old friend immediately fell ill at the mid-terraced house in South Park Drive, Ilford at 11.30pm on Tuesday, March 29.

Both ate the sweets which came in packaging branded with “Trrlli Peachie O’s”.

University of Hertfordshire business law undergraduate Ms Olakanmi was taken by air ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford in a critical condition.

Her mother Wumi, 51, a churchgoer, kept a vigil by her bedside until she lost her fight for life on Saturday.

Doctors later discharged Ms Olakanmi’s friend, a US student visiting the UK, from hospital.

Justice campaigner and relative Richard Taylor, 75, consoled the student’s distraught mother on Sunday.

He said: “Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now.

“They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.

“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.

“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own. She was studying law.”

Leave a Reply

Latest Articles